dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

At what age can I begin to collect ex spouse benefits?

Customer Question

Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 7 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. It depends. There are several conditions you have to meet: You are unmarried;You are age 62 or older;Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits andThe benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.Also, if you remarried, your marriage must have ended. If you ex-spouse qualify (reach full retirement age, usually 65 - 67) but haven't applied for his benefits yet, you must be divorced for at least two years to qualify.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What if I am still working
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All of those apply to me. But I'm a teacher and am still working
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can I collect it while still working at age 62
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It took me awhile to get into this answer. Sorry for the delay
If you are still working, your benefits will be limited. If you don't necessary need it it may be better idea to wait until you reach full retirement age and get full benefits. At age 62 you will get about 30% of your spousal benefits, while if you wait until your full retirement age, you will get 50% of his benefits.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do I get the answer here or do I need to go somewhere else? Are you still there researching my question?
Don't you see my answer above?