LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

I am years old and receive full PERA retirement and a reduced

Customer Question

I am 69 years old and receive full PERA retirement and a reduced social security income. If my husband dies, can I receive his survivor benefits?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Yes, if your husband predeceases you, you will be eligible to a survivor benefit. However just as the WEP decreases the social security retirement benefit that you are entitled to collect, something known as the Government Pension Offset effects a survivor benefit in a similar way. Social security will deduct 2/3 of the amount of PERA pension that you receive from any survivor benefit to which you would otherwise be entitled to. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good evening Ron,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug