LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I retired under ca teachers system. My husband had ss. He is

Customer Question

I retired under ca teachers system. My husband had ss. He is deceased. I do not receive any spousal ss. Still don't understand why. Can u give me an answer?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good evening,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Yes, I can explain why you don't get it, but please understand that I am only the messenger and I can't change the law or the outcome in your situation. Please don't shoot the messenger. Because of the Government Pension Offset (GPO), which applies because you receive a pension for which you did not pay into social security to earn (You paid no social security taxes on your teacher salary) social security decreases your eligibility for a survivor benefit based on the amount of your private pension. Social Security automatically decreases any survivor benefit you would otherwise be entitled to by two-thirds of your government pension. If your husband was receiving say $2200 a month at his passing, your survivor benefit would be $2200. But if your teacher pension is say $3500 per month, social security would reduce your $2200 benefit by 2/3 of your $3500 pension or by $2333 per month---which would result in you getting no survivor benefit. Here is a link to a social security article about the GPO: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10007.pdf You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good evening,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug