Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

I will be 66 on 8/19/66 and i applied on 4/18/16 i got a letter

Customer Question

i will be 66 on 8/19/66 and i applied on 4/18/16 i got a letter in the mail which denied my claim because i make 8300 a month why?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.That is because the earned income credit applies before one reaches full retirement age (FRA). FRA is age 66 and you have not reached it yet. Your benefit is reduced for $1 for every $2 earned over $15,720. You make too much and the penalty reduced your benefit to nothing. You NEVER want to take early retirement before FRA if you have significant income. Contact SSA and let them know you want to take your benefit at age 66 and you will have no problems and at that time the earned income penalty does not apply. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?