LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

If I get disability through the military (VA), am I also

Customer Question

If I get disability through the military (VA), am I also entitled disability through social security?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. First of all, from one veteran to another, thank you for your service to our country! SO long as you have accumulated enough social security quarter credits---generally equivalent to 10 years of employment and paying into social security----yes, you are allowed to collect both VA disability and SSDI befits at the same time. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry to hear of my confusion ,too. (People say my sense of humor is kinda dry...anyway:) Thank you for your service also.
Can you tell me what the formula is to figure what my disability compensation might be from SSI?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Hi, You will be getting SSDI from the SSA. SSI is welfare from the state and is not what were are talking about. Your benefit will be based on your year of birth and the income you have earned in your life to date. You can get the estimate by going to the social security website. Let me explain. 1. Using your online “my Social Security” account. If you don’t already have an account, you can create one online. You can open your own social security online account and get an estimate of your SSDI benefit, see your earnings statement,estimated retirement benefit and much more, in about 15 minutes through this site: Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.You may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further.I wish you well,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug