LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

May I apply due to depression, anxiety disorder, and

Customer Question

May I apply for SSI due to depression, anxiety disorder, and massive panic attacks?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon Edith,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Social security disability eligibility is not based on the diagnosis of the medical issue you have, but instead it is based on the effect the disease process has on you. Many, many people with depression and other similar psychological issues qualify for SSDI every year. Ultimately, it is a physician that make the disability determination and so I encourage you to speak with your primary physician and/or your Psychologist and get their opinion. Their medical records will play a big part in whether you ultimately qualify for SSDI. Social Security's definition of disability is as follows:"Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. They consider you disabled under Social Security rules if: You cannot do work that you did before; Social Security decides that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); andYour disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death. Here is a link where you can apply online for your benefit: http://www.ssa.gov/applyfordisability/ Your benefit will be about the same as your full retirement age retirement benefit. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good evening,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug