Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

My spouse doesn't have her own social security that could be

Customer Question

My spouse doesn't have her own social security that could be as much as 1/2 of mine would be. If I start to draw my SS at age 67 and she draws at age 65:
1. What would be the percentage of the spousal benefit compared to mine?
2. Provided nether of us dies, how long does the spousal benefit last?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
y name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. (1) If she draws at age 66, it would be the maximum of 50% of your benefit. If she draws at age 65, she would be subject to the early retirement penalty and it would be reduced to around 45% of your benefit. Also understand that the amount that the spousal benefit is based on is your amount at full retirement age (FRA). Any 8% credits your earn after age 66 will not be counted in the SS calculation for the spousal benefit.(2) the spousal benefit last forever until you or her die, there is no limit. Understand that the spousal benefit is the higher of her own normal retirement benefit and the spousal benefit. If I understand you correctly and she does not have her own benefit, then she would stay on the spousal benefit until your death in which she could switch to the survivor benefit which would be 100% of your benefit if she is at full retirement age. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?