Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

I was married to a GS-12 lady from 1988 - 2004 whereupon we

Customer Question

I was married to a GS-12 lady from 1988 - 2004 whereupon we divorced. Are government employees subject to the deductions for Social Security?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If the government employee has a pension and received that pension through income where that employee did not pay into Social Security, then that employee will be subject to the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP). See link for full explanation: a percentage of the amount of the government pension will reduce her social security benefit. So to answer your question, yes, if the pension did not pay into SS then it would reduce her SS benefit. Here is a chart to ascertain the WEP reduction: Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?