LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Help. I started taking retirement in 2013 (December) at age

Customer Question

Help. I started taking retirement in 2013 (December) at age 62. My husband also took retirement in 2014, at age 65. He passed away in November of 2015. I filed our joint tax return for 2015 in Feb. of 2016 (confirmed as received). I also filed for survivor's benefits and started receiving SSI from my deceased husband. Will my benefits increase in the future ( I turn 66 in October of 2017) based on my husband's 2014 and 2015 income (not yet recorded, per IRS website) or am I stuck with the amount I am receiving now?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good morning Mary,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Any time a person takes an early social security retirement benefit their benefit remains at that level for live with the exception of if they continue to work and pay more into socials security and the annual cost of living increases. While your personal retirement benefit will not increase because you took it at 62, your survivor benefit will increase somewhat based on your husband's 2015 income because it will raise his full retirement age benefit and likewise, your survivor benefit. The income that he earned in 2014 would have resulted in an increase in the benefit the beginning of 2016 and so that 2014 income will not make another increase. If for some reason the 2014 income was not reported to social security (which it should have been had the 2014 taxes been timely filed) then yes, the 2014 income will also be considered by social security in determining an increase in your survivor benefit. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug