PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money

My wife is 65 and receives around $200 in SS monthly and I'm

Customer Question

my wife is 65 and receives around $200 in SS monthly and I'm 67 and get a little more than $2,000, but I understand she could be getting about 50% of what I get as her benefit, is that true?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what type of details?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 6 months ago.
Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer I see you asked for me. I'll assist. Your wife would be eligible for a spousal benefit for up to 50% of yours (discounted because she claimed early). She has to apply for a spousal benefit to do so. It is not automatic. From "You can apply:Online - Use our Social Security Retirement/Medicare Benefit Application to apply for retirement, spouse's, divorced spouse's or Medicare benefits.If your spouse is already receiving benefits when you apply, or if you and your spouse apply at the same time, we will also check your eligibility for benefits as a spouse. If you qualify, your application will automatically serve as a request for spousal benefits.By phone - Call us at 1-***-***-****. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can call us at TTY 1-***-***-****. is the link to their web page. Thanks for asking at just Answer. positive feedback is appreciated when you rate my assistance. I'mCustomerIn person - Visit your local Social Security office. (Call first to make an appointment.)If you do not live in the U.S. or one of its territoriesyou can also - Contact the nearest U.S. Social Security office, U.S. Embassy or consulate."
Expert:  PDtax replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for asking for me, and thanks from Just Answer. Positive feedback when you rate my assistance is appreciated. I'mCustomer