Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

My wife passed away 2 yrs ago. am i entitled to her ss benefits

Customer Question

my wife passed away 2 yrs ago. am i entitled to her ss benefits ?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Kindly provide proper foundation for your question. How old are you? Are you disabled? Are you receiving your own benefits? Thank you for your cooperation.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i am 68, still working 40hrs a week. i am receiving my own benefits. clearly not disabled. my wife was born in 1952 and worked for the school system in west orange, n.j. for about 30 years.
Thank you for the information. It depends. You can only receive one benefit: under yours or her earnings. If receiving benefits under survivor benefits would entitle you to higher benefits, then you should apply for survivor benefits and switch to that. Otherwise, you would need stick to yours. To find out which one is higher, you need to go to your local office of Social Security Administration and ask them to review the record for you. If hers would be higher, they would help you to apply for survivor benefits. For more information, click on the links below: Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.