Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

May I collect s/s or receive spousal support after being divorced

Customer Question

may I collect s/s or receive spousal support after being divorced since 1985. was married
for 15 years, but never applied for this . I'm 79 and my x-wife is 74. still living. She has
always received higher monthly amount than I have. I'm only receiving $894, after medicare deduction.. I started collecting s/s when I was 65 years old. Need help to increase or make more money.
How do I apply for this or any other benefits? Erik
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.Yes you can, as long as you were married at least 10 years and remain unmarried (or at least did not remarry before age 60). You can receive a 50% ex spousal benefit from your ex. The rub is that these benefits do not stack and you can only receive the higher of your own benefit and the spousal benefit. So if the spousal benefit (50%) is higher than your own, yes you can switch to that higher amount. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
May I apply via email or do I have to go to S/S office. It difficult to get an appointment with s/s office before end of month!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which application form do I use and where may I get it?
Here is a link and you can apply online: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/applying6.html#&a0=1 Also the spousal benefit is not going away with the May 1 changes, only the restricted benefit and file and suspend which do not apply to you because you are past mandatory retirement age. you cannot apply by email by can apply online through the link I provided (it will also show you other ways to apply). Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.