Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

The answers to your questions, we live in Nevada, we did hold

Customer Question

The answers to your questions, we live in Nevada, we did hold our self as husband and wife, we have been together over 20 years
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. To receive social security spousal benefits or survivor benefits, Social Security will recognize common law marriage BUT only if the state in which the marriage took place recognizes that type of marriage. The state of Nevada (as is the case for most states) does not recognize common law marriages and has not since 1943. SSA will not recognize your marriage unfortunately for the purposes of receiving benefits based on your partner's SS benefit. If you simply marry, and have been married for 9 months, you will be able to receive these benefits. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have viewed your answer, and do have some questions. 1, what is simply married, we have been, and lived together as man and wife over 20 years. 2. why am I being billed twice for the same service, once for 5 then 28, and ageing for 42 ?
1) It will depend on if you were married officially or if you are relying on common law marriage. In Nevada you cannot rely on common law marriage as the state does not recognize it. As such SSA will not recognize it. If you are officially married by the laws of the state of Nevada, you will have no problem and SSA will recognize any spousal or survivor benefits. 2) I have nothing to do with billing, but I can guess. I am not an employee of justanswer.com, I am a user of the site just like yourself, only on the expert side. I have not been paid anything for working on your answer and you have been billed by justanswer. The site will reimburse me for my time if you simply give me a positive rating (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.) The cost of this question was $33 which is the $5 (your deposit) plus the $28 (this was charged when I answered your question), I would guess the $42 is a membership you signed up for (monthly) but I am unsure, you will need to contact customer service to be sure. I would ask you to rate my answer or the site will keep all of the funds that you paid and I would get nothing. Again, this is just a guess as I do not have a thing to do with billing.