LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

If I receive SSI and no other income do I file taxes?

Customer Question

Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon KarenI'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I wanted to let you know that I am working on an answer for you right now. Please give me a few minutes to complete my answer and get it posted to you. Thanks in advance,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Hi Karen, If your only income is SSI, and knowing that the largest SSI benefit payable is just $733 per month, and because the threshold at which a single person must file a tax return is $10,300 ($11,850 if you are over 65), then no, you do not need to file a tax return for tax year 2015. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good evening,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug