Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

Should my husband (66) use file and suspend now and continue

Customer Question

Should my husband (66) use file and suspend now and continue to work until 69 or 70 OR begin receiving SS payments and continue to work. I am 67 and receive my SS monthly ($300), retired teacher in TX so I'm negatively impacted by both WEP and GPO
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. That is an option but only if you will be able to use the spousal benefit. If not, it really would not be beneficial. The 50% spousal benefit (it is reduced to as low as 32.5% if you retired at age 62 and increases to 50% if you did at age 66) is also affected by the GPO as you know. It will also be reduced 2/3 of the amount of your pension. So after figuring out the amount, and you ascertain that you will be able to take the spousal benefit (this is probably doubtful) as it is higher than your own benefit (these benefits do not stack), then he should consider doing the file and suspend. It must be done by April 29, 2016. He would be able to receive 8% credits per year that he does not receive his own retirement benefit and can earn as much as 32% if he delays until mandatory retirement age. All the while, you would receive a higher benefit. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?