LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

Cox. How much money can I earn

Customer Question

My name is Marsha ***** ***** Cox. How much money can I earn if I retire in May (of this Year) and my retirement date is July of 2017? I will be 65 this year in July. I want to know if I can sub teach at my school for the rest of 2016 starting in August threw December?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My full benefit date is in July 2017 but because I am retiring this July I want to know how much money can I earn each month in addition to my SS?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon Marsha,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If you apply for early social security retirement benefits at age 65, you may earn up to $15,720 in 2016 without your income effecting your social security benefits. Social security will deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2016, that limit is $15,720. In 2017, the year you will reach 66, you will be able to earn as much as $41,880 between January and the month before you turn 66. After that social security will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above $41,880. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug