Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I am 67 years old working full time and receiving ss benefits.

Customer Question

I am 67 years old working full time and receiving ss benefits. My wife is 63 1/2 yrs old and working full time. Is she eligible to receive a portion of my ss benefits now and then receive her full benefit from what she has earned when she turns 66?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. Unfortunately, no this is not possible. She is eligible to take a spousal benefit as long as you have elected to take yours, but it does not work the way you laid out. What you want to do is called a restricted application. This cannot be done until full retirement age. If you turned age 62 be the end of December 31, 2015, she would be grandfathered in and at full retirement age she will still be able to restrict her benefit. This means that if she would like to elect to take only the spousal benefit as opposed to her normal retirement benefit, she can restrict her election to ONLY the spousal benefit. This would allow her to collect the 50% spousal benefit while still gaining credits to her normal retirement benefit from ages 66-70 (the credit increases her benefit approximately 8% per year). If she tries to take the spousal benefit at early retirement age, she would have to take the higher of the spousal benefit and her retirement benefit. You cannot choose just the spousal and let her normal retirement benefit grow while still take the spousal benefit and then elect to take the normal retirement benefit at age 66. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?