Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience in tax preparation, including some multi-national Social Security applications.
13714381

My ward Margaret ****** died November

Customer Question

My ward Margaret ****** died November 15th, 2015. I applied for an ein number for her estate as I am the executor. Her social security number was *********. I cannot find the letter from the Irs giving me that number. For some reason I got it wrong .
I tried to get an extension for the Federal 1041 and it came back saying the number was wrong.. I used ******** Could you help me?
Joan ******, Executor
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** using Just Answer. The answer is to call the Business and Specialty Tax line at (###) ###-#### ***** 7 am to 7 pm local time, Monday through Friday. The IRS will provide the EIN once they verify you are authorized to receive it. Odds are against being able to complete that by Monday's deadline.... However, you don't need to meet Monday's deadline. An estate can elect a tax year starting at the beginning of any month, and does so by timely filing the 1041 (the estate's income tax return) which selects that year. If you keep careful records of any income the estate may have in 2016 (including that part which already occured), you can select a tax year starting on November 1, 2015, and file the 1041 by February 15, 2017. You need to keep careful records because you won't get any 1099s for the estate in time to file. This doesn't extend the deadline for filing an estate tax return, if needed, but that is at least August 15. 2016, without filing an extension. I hope this answers your question.