Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Joy first is there a fee service and how much do you

Customer Question

Joy first is there a fee for this service and how much do you charge
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 7 months ago.
The fee is an arrangement between you and the company site, to which I am not privvy.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am 65 years old and will be 66 yrs old in July (female) My husband is to be 70 in May and retired at 67 full retirement age for him.I retired at 62 and worked some of that time and am working fulltime now as husband is unable because of health issues. I have had to pay some money back to ss because I worked too much.Would it be fiscally advantageous for me to apply for spousal benefits when I turn 66 and if so what is the process and am I able to do that instead of continuing to collect my own.My benefit is 662.00 a month after deducting my medicare his is 1995.00. Does the new law change ending April 30th affect my situation in any way?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** *****
Hi Lou! With regard to your post: "I am 65 years old and will be 66 yrs old in July (female) My husband is to be 70 in May and retired at 67 full retirement age for him.----- OK, I think you mean he started collecting his SS benefits nearly 3 years ago."I retired at 62 and worked some of that time and am working fulltime now as husband is unable because of health issues. ------ OK. So you are saying you collected early, at a reduced rate. "I have had to pay some money back to ss because I worked too much.----- Yes, but then your reduction, later when you are no longer subject to earnings limit in a few months, will be less of a reduction."Would it be fiscally advantageous for me to apply for spousal benefits when I turn 66 ------ If a spousal is available to you, and bigger than your own, it may be. But if you were eligible for spousal when you applied for your own, and they didn't give it to you, it was because yours is higher, not spousal.This is one of the disadvantages of filing before we are full retirement age, for filing early and taking those extra payments. We no longer have option of restricted spousal benefit. That said, just double check with the SSA about your spousal amount - if they failed to CHECK your spousal amount and just gave you your own, it may be that you do have eligible spousal benefit - even if just a few bucks more. Not typical, but mistakes can certainly happen with the SSA. and if so what is the process ---- You will go into your SSA office with photo ID, birth certificate, marriage cert. and inquire of the value of a spousal benefit to see if it is more than what you get now. and am I able to do that instead of continuing to collect my own. ------ No. Had you waited to file until your FRA, you could have then, but not now. When they pay you spousal, if it is greater, they will pay you your reduced amount you have been getting, plus the spousal supplement, if any, to get you to you spousal amount if higher."My benefit is 662.00 a month after deducting my medicare his is 1995.00. Does the new law change ending April 30th affect my situation in any way? ------ No, it doesn't effect. It only effects those whose record earner decides to suspend his benefits. But since you each are collecting under your own work records, you are not at the mercy of any suspending spouse. The only other thing you can do at this point is (if you can work to afford this) is consider suspending your benefit til you are 70, so it will grow another 32%. Then you restart them at 70. So your 662 could be over 800.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!
Urgent! There is just one more step needed, so thank you for finishing up! Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being. If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here! Sincerely,Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional