LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

I am on disability can i get social security when i turn 65

Customer Question

i am on disability can i get social security when i turn 65 along with disability
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please. 1. What disability benefits are you being paid now? SSI, SSDI, State disability, private disability insurance, employer paid disability benefits? Doug
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not quite sure what it is .Iknow it is from the government.I think it is SSI
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i think it is SSI
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Hi, SSI is welfare and paid only of you have assets less than $2000 and very low income---typically less than about $15000 per year. SSDI is social security disability insurance which you earn by working and paying into social security. Can you now tell me what benefit you get?Doug
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i have SSDI
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ihave SSDI
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good morning, Thank you for the confirmation. Under social security laws, a person is only entitled to one social security benefit at a time. What that means is that when you choose to take retirement---if you do so before your full retirement age (66)----then you will no longer qualify for SSDI. You actually don't have to do anything because at age 66 your SSDI benefit will automatically end and social security will switch your benefit to your retirement benefit. But it is not possible to collect both SSDI and a social security retirement benefit at the same time. I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good evening,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug