Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

Unsure how my deceased husbands social security fits into my

Customer Question

Unsure how my deceased husbands social security fits into my social security benefits.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more so we can help you best.
Customer: When I enrolled at 62 I was told my funds came from the larger account between my deceased husband and myself. They were close in value and I am drawing off mine. I was told of a friend which was receiving funds from both hers and her deceased husband. Which is correct?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Retirement Accountant before I connect you two?
Customer: I have an annuity from working for 34 yrs. does that get involved?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Retirement Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If you have an annuity from a source where you did not pay into FICA then yes it would be involved as you would be subject to the windfall elimination provision (wep). This will reduce your benefit by a percentage of the pension. If not and you paid into FICA, then it will not matter. You are taking your own benefits at this point (you probably should have elected to take your survivor benefit at that time in order to let your benefit grow until 70 at an increased value). You cannot receive both benefits at once, you only get to take the higher of the two and the SS survivor benefit and your normal retirement benefit do not stack. Your friend is not correct and is not receiving both benefits at once. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Did that make sense? Do you have further questions?