Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I returned all money & benefits to SSA in 2015 that SSA erroneously

Customer Question

I returned all money & benefits to SSA in 2015 that SSA erroneously sent me. The check to pay SSA back was written on December 18 and sent by certified USPS mail. SSA agrees that the check arrived before the end of the year. However SSA did not cash this check until early March 2016. I have asked several times for an updated SSA 1099 that shows the erroneous payments were returned. One SSA agent said SSA would send me an updated SSA 1099 within 10 days but that hasn't happened and its now a month later. Still another SSA agent on another call said just don't report the erroneous payments since you have paid it back in a timely way'. Then on a third call, another SSA agent said the returned check will be credited in the present year (i.e. 2016). So who is right? Does SSA give the credit on the day that they cashed my checked (i.e. 2016) or the year the check was written and received by SSA, namely 2015?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.
The year the check was written and received by SSA, namely 2015. Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.