PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money

I will be 68 in June. I would like to FILE Security

Customer Question

I will be 68 in June. I would like to FILE for Social Security benefits, but then SUSPEND payment of those benefits until I am 70. I understand that I can to this without affecting the amount that would be paid to me starting at age 70. Can you confirm that this is correct? I would like to do this online. Can you direct me how to do this? Thanks.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 6 months ago.
Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer I'll assist. You can do this, and it does not reduce your benefit starting at age 70. You can make this application online. SSA is informal about the suspension request; you can make the request in writing, orally (at an SSA office) or online. To do so online, sign up on the SSA website ( When you complete an online application and type under the “Remarks” tab, “Please suspend my benefits.” Keep a printed copy of your application, and submit it before April 30, 2016 if you can. That is the deadline for the more liberal file and suspend rules. Thanks for asking at just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer