Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

My husband passed away inJuly of 1992, My two children colected

Customer Question

my husband passed away inJuly of 1992, My two children colected his social secrity until they were 18 can I collect as his widow now ornot
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If you are at least age 60 and have not remarried (or at least remarried before age 60) then you can collect a survivor benefit. This benefit is 100% of your spouse's benefit at full retirement age (age 66 in 2016). It can be a useful planning mechanism to take a survivor benefit until age 70 which will allow your normal retirement benefit to grow to its max at that age. Understand that these benefits do not stack and you only receive the higher of the two benefits (or at least which one you elect to take). If you meet these requirements then to answer your question, yes. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?