dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I am turning 70 in a week. I have a retirement from a state

Customer Question

I am turning 70 in a week. I have a retirement from a state retirement pension and from my late husband which is under the government widow benefits.
I have been married to my current husband coming up in 13 years. could I qualify for some kind of benefits.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 8 months ago.
That depends as you can collect from either husband. However, you are only entitled to the higher of the two benefits and you cannot combine benefits. Likewise, since you second marriage is over ten years and you di not remarry after age 60, go to any SS office and bring your second marriage certificate/license. SS will then compare the two benefits and determine which was you are entitled to. I wish you well