Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

I am a divorced 50yr old combat wounded, 100% disabled ret.

Customer Question

i am a divorced 50yr old combat wounded, 100% disabled ret. marine. because of my age and situation. i dont know if im receiving all of the benefits that may be available to me and my 3 children. my youngest daughter is 16 and is diagnosed PDD(pervasive developemental disorder) a condition within the autism spectrum. i was married for 15yrs and an unwilling divorcee'. altho i did give the home i built and all marital assets to my ex-wife. their was an undocumented agreement that 1/2of all marital assets would be given to my children. but my wife has remarried and signed nothing over to my children. i now understand that a ssi benefit will become unavailable on april 30th. i dont know if i need to take action on this matter as well. thank you..r/s mario opromollo usmc/dav/moph/ret.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. At your age, these changes will not effect you in the least bit, good or bad. There has been a lot of misinformation out there regarding HR 1314. The changes made in the bipartisan act are being hyped in the media but it is only a small loophole that is being closed. It is not a magical lump sum that has to be elected or banned benefits that you will lose. It deals with "file and suspend" spousal benefits and the "restricted benefit". Let me explain, a spouse can only take the spousal benefit if the other spouse has elected to take their benefit. Currently the law is changing and a "suspend and file" cannot be elected starting on may 1, 2016. In this circumstance at full retirement age (66) one could file and suspend their benefits and continue earning credits until age 70 and their spouse could elect to take the spousal benefit. The spousal benefit can be as much as half of the worker's "primary insurance amount," depending on the spouse's age at retirement. If the spouse begins receiving benefits before "normal (or full) retirement age," the spouse will receive a reduced benefit. However, if a spouse is caring for a qualifying child, the spousal benefit is not reduced. Also the "restricted benefit" is being eliminated. If you turned age 62 be the end of December 31, 2015, you would be grandfathered in and at full retirement age you will still be able to restrict your benefit. This means that if you or your spouse would like to elect to take only the spousal benefit as opposed to your normal retirement benefit, you can restrict your election to ONLY the spousal benefit. This would allow you to collect the 50% spousal benefit while still gaining credits to your normal retirement benefit from ages 66-70 (the credit increases your benefit approximately 8% per year). After the law changes, at full retirement age, you would have to take the higher of the spousal benefit and your retirement benefit. You can no longer choose just the spousal and let your normal retirement benefit grow while still take the spousal benefit. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?