keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses

I've been on Social Security disability 12 years

Customer Question

I've been on Social Security disability for around 12 years I am 61 do I stay on Social Security disability if I'm permanently disabled or do I switch to Social Security when I turn 65 or 66
I also want to know how many hours I'm allowed to work if I were able to in the future without affecting my social security disability
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 6 months ago.
When you reach your full retirement age, if you were born in 1954, your full retirement age is 66.So, when you reach Age 66 or (your full retirement age if you weren't born in 1954) your disability benefit (SSDI) will automatically change to a retirement benefit and you will have no work restrictions.While you are on SSDI, there are several different programs and limits involved. The earnings limitations vary but most are between $810. a month and $1,130. a month depending upon what work program you qualify for.The best information is online at www.ssa.govHere's a link to take you directly to the Disability information about working and keeping your benefits. you go to that link by opening it in a new tab (right click on it) & count down 6 topics, that will take you to a Social Security Publication that explains everything in plain language.