Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

Am I eligible to collect a share of my husband's Social Security?

Customer Question

Am I eligible to collect a share of my husband's Social Security? I am receiving a Survivor Annuity from the Office of Personnel Management for his employment with the DC Govt where he retired. He also worked a number of years under Social Security. What additional information do you need to make this determination? I am 87 years old.
Gertrude Booth
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 6 months ago.
Gertrude, it may be so! WEP would not apply to you based on HIS government pension because it does not apply after the worker's insurance amount after he passes. AND GOP should not apply to you, as I see it, because you were not the person who earned the pension. While there will be other details had by the SSA particular to your husband's amount, and whether that survivor amount is better than what you may be getting now on your own record, I would absolutely inquire at your local office.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!
Urgent! There is just one more step needed, so thank you for finishing up! Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being. If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here! Sincerely,Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional