Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

If I am yrs old and already receiving SSI and still working

Customer Question

if I am 69 yrs old and already receiving SSI and still working full time but getting to a point where I cant work. my doctor is telling me adamantly to shut down my business , but I have 2 amputations diabetes and dupuyturns which is a hand crippling disease that is making it impossible to continue my work because I cant close my hands and cant grip things. am I eligible for SSDI?
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.
If you are already at your full retirement age, you are not eligible for SSDI. This is because SSDI automatically turns into regular retirement benefits at full retirement age. If you already collecting Social Security benefits, that benefits will continue. In addition and more importantly, if you are receiving ONLY SSI ("Supplement Security Income"), which is disability benefit for children with disabilities, and for adults with disabilities who did not work long enough to qualify for regular disability benefits and who have little or not assets, you cannot qualify for SSDI and your SSI does not turn into regular retirement benefits since you have not worked long enough to qualify retirement benefits. Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So should I apply for SSI then? INSTEAD if ssdi?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am too broken to work but I have too much debt to quit working because of my parents debt that fell back on me n I haven't recovered from those expenses yet. What do I do so I don't lose my house n get put into a retirement home.
I am bit confused by your follow-up question. I thought that you were already receiving SSI. Kindly clarify?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry I was confused about my terminology. I am collecting regarding ss given to all who pay in as retirement. Now I'm disabled too. Should I/can I apply for ssi?
Oh, okay. Got it. You can apply for SSI to see if you would be eligible. SSI would be approved if you have little to no assets. Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.