Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

My question is I am wondering if I can get more money for

Customer Question

My question is I am wondering if I can get more money for social security thru my first husband. My name is***** and my ex is Randall Pfeffer.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Does your ex husband currently receive his retirement benefit? Were you married for at least 10 years? Did you remarry before age 60? Would a spousal benefit (remember this is a maximum of 50% of his benefit and it is less if you retired early) be more than your benefit?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes, yes, yes I did retire early and yes to last question
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. Just to confirm, you remarried before age 60?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes
Unfortunately, you would not be eligible for his benefit. Since you are currently married (and it occurred before age 60) then you cannot take an ex spousal benefit from your ex husband. If you had waited until after age 60, it would be possible, but I am sorry to say that you cannot take a portion of his benefit. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?