lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I am a Canadian citizen but have lived last 50 yrs

Customer Question

I am a Canadian citizen but have lived for the last 50 yrs in the U.S. All during these 50 yrs I have paid my taxes and paid into the SocSec system. I have applied for my SS benefits but was told yesterday that I was not entitled to any type of benefit from the SS system.
What are my options?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
First of all - you might be eligible for Canadian retirement benefits.There is so-called Totalization Agreement between the US and Canada - see here allow to count some credits earned in another country..
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
Second - there are some eligibility requirementsSee following publication,0607-crs.pdfnon citizens who are "lawfully in the United States and meet all eligibility requirements" can get benefits.Specifically - see page 5 Special Payment Rules for Noncitizens..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.