How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29511
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Canadian citizen but have lived last 50 yrs

Customer Question

I am a Canadian citizen but have lived for the last 50 yrs in the U.S. All during these 50 yrs I have paid my taxes and paid into the SocSec system. I have applied for my SS benefits but was told yesterday that I was not entitled to any type of benefit from the SS system.
What are my options?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
First of all - you might be eligible for Canadian retirement benefits.There is so-called Totalization Agreement between the US and Canada - see here allow to count some credits earned in another country..
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Second - there are some eligibility requirementsSee following publication,0607-crs.pdfnon citizens who are "lawfully in the United States and meet all eligibility requirements" can get benefits.Specifically - see page 5 Special Payment Rules for Noncitizens..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.