Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

My ex husband and i were married yrs

Customer Question

My ex husband and i were married for 25 yrs. He had to start drawing his ssi benefit at age 50 due to mental issues from vietnam. Now i will soon be 62 and never remarried can i draw his benefit too at age 62?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. Yes you can but understand if you elect to take a spousal benefit (it is the full 50% of his benefit at full retirement age), you also elect to take your normal retirement benefit at the same time. These benefits do not stack and you only receive the highest benefit of the two. Also understand that this benefit at age 62 would only be 32.5% of his benefit. You qualify for this because you were married for at least 10 years and did not remarry. So to answer your question, yes you would be eligible for a spousal benefit based of of his SS benefit. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please cancel this seevice,as I ask. I saw,charges in mt credit card I do not approve of.
I am not an employee of just answer and have nothing to do with the billing. I will send in a customer service request to try to cancel any membership you were signed up for.
By the way, I received nothing and was paid nothing for your answer as you did not give me a positive rating for my answer. At this point the site will keep all of the funds paid and I will get nothing. Again I am not an employee of the site and I am just a a user of the site just like you, just on the expert side. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.