LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I was 67 on March 19, 2016. My wife will be 48 on July 6,

Customer Question

I was 67 on March 19, 2016. My wife will be 48 on July 6, 2016. I do not collect benefits but I still pay in as I am self employed. We are okay in delaying collecting. Our income is over 100,000. We have absolutely no debt. The children are adults, two of which are in college. When is the best time to start collecting.
Also, I just read something about "File and suspend". Does that apply to me. Is there some source where I can go to get more information. I want her to be able to collect as I will probably predecease her. She does not work and has not ever.
thank you. ***@******.***
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon Michael,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. The only reason that you would file and suspend was if your wife was eligible to take a spouse benefit at this time---which she is not because she is under 62. To maximize your retirement benefit, all you need to do is put off applying for your own social security benefit until age 70. If you predecease your wife, she will be entitled to a survivor benefit as early as age 60. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug