LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I was married years and we did a joint tax return. We

Customer Question

I was married for 31 years and we did a joint tax return. We are divorced and I want to know if I get part of his social security. He retired from the Air Force after 20 years (1974). We were married past that time
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. So long as you have not remarried and your ex is at least 62 years old, then you are eligible to file for a spouse benefit based on his social security record. Depending on your age, you will be entitled to somewhere between 35% and 50% of his full retirement social security benefit. 50% is the maximum spouse benefit that is payable to anyone. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug