LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

This is Norma Neuhouser - my husband died in 2013 and he would

Customer Question

This is Norma Neuhouser - my husband died in 2013 and he would be 65 this July I am not getting any of his benefits - I plane to work to 66 - with these new laws - is there something I can do to lock in these savings?
I can't get any answers from the branch?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon Norma,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. No worries. You are all set to maximize your benefits, and there is nothing that you need to do immediately. Let me explain. To maximize your benefit you can wait until you reach 66 and then file for a survivor benefit. This will pay you the amount that your husband would have been eligible to collect had he lived to age 66, and in the meantime, while you are collecting the survivor befit at age 66, your own retirement benefit will continue to grow by 8% per year to age 70. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon Norma,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not receiving any benefit from his - I have elected to keep mine going until I retire
So you are telling me I can not get his now??
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon, Yes, you may apply for a survivor benefit today if you would like, and the taking of the survivor benefit will not interfere with your own retirement benefit continuing to increase in value. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug