Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I will be 66 in July & my wife turned 62 in March -- My wife

Customer Question

I will be 66 in July & my wife turned 62 in March -- My wife has not filed, but can I file for a spousal benefit? Thanks
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. No, your wife has to have filed before you get a spousal benefit and also understand that the spousal benefit and the normal retirement benefit are filed at the same time and you ONLY get the higher of the two you do not get both. The only exception is that if you file a restricted benefit which elects that you ONLY take the spousal benefit and do not take your normal retirement. You then can let your normal benefit increase until age 70 (you get 8% per year of delay from 66-70). Again your wife has to have filed to get the spousal benefit anyway. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?