Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

I have been told that couples who have been married more than

Customer Question

I have been told that couples who have been married more than 10 years (63yrs in my case), and are collecting soc.sec. now, that the wife can also collect one-half the amount the amount of her husband's in addition to her own. called spousal benefits...
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. it is true that you can collect a spousal benefit based on your spouse's social security but you do not have to be married 10 years (that is a requirement to collect a benefit off an ex-spouses SS benefit). At full retirement age one can collect a benefit equal to 50% of their spouses benefit but if they elected to take early retirement their spousal benefit will be reduced by the early retirement penalty (for example, if you retired at age 62, you would only get 32.5% of your spouse's benefit). Also understand that you do not get this benefit in addition to your normal retirement benefit, you can only take the higher of the two. In other words, these benefits do not stack. So if the spousal benefit is higher than your own benefit, you would receive that and not receive your normal retirement benefit. So you you would be eligible for the spousal benefit. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?