Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am 81 years old and keep reading about a benefit to apply

Customer Question

I am 81 years old and keep reading about a benefit to apply for before May2016 to increase your SSCheck.Is there anything I can do to help increase mine ?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.
The short answer is no. Hello: If you are already collecting benefits, the new law that goes into effect in April 30, 2016 does not affect you. The new law will not take away your benefits or any benefits that you are entitled to. On the other hand, there is nothing you can do to increase your benefits. The new law essentially deals with two strategies some retirees were using to maximize their benefits namely: file and suspend and restricted spousal application. File and suspend deals with when both husband and wife have reached their full retirement age. One would file and suspend his benefits so that the other would apply for spousal benefits only. Then the other spouse would apply for benefits when he reaches age 70. This would maximize their benefits. Under the new law, this loophole has been closed. So, when a spouse files and suspends, all benefits would be suspended preventing his spouse from applying under his earnings. The other one is restricted spousal application where one spouse can elect just to apply for spousal benefits only and then apply for her own benefits later. This would no longer be allowed for any one that has not turned age 62 by the end of December 2015. So, the new law does not affect you and there is nothing for you to do. For more information, click on the links below: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/suspend.html https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/applying6.html Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.