emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

My wife recieved a lump sum from ss I was still

Customer Question

my wife recieved a lump sum for disability from ss I was still working at the time they want my ajusted gross income for 2011 and I can't find a copy of that return can I still file my taxes minus that info
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 8 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. Did you your wife received benefits from 2011 as part of the lump sump?
You have couple of options here. You can treat it as all received in 2015 or you can treat it as received in prior years. On the bottom of the SS form you should see the breakdown how much apply to which year. If you choose to allocate it, you will have to complete few worksheets to figure out how much your taxes would have been if you included your social security income. If 2011 benefits are included in the lump sum and you don't have 2011 info any more you can always choose to treat it as all received in 2015.
I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?
I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.