Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am 68 years old and collecting social security. My wife is

Customer Question

I am 68 years old and collecting social security. My wife is 64 will be 65 July 13th. Can she take the file and suspend spousal allotment from social security and hold off until later(70 or earlier) to file for retirement? If so does the spousal allotment reduce or alter her money when she fully retires or will it continue to increase every year until age 70. I make 2,662 now and she is projected to make 2,300 at 66. I guess she can make up to one half of my money on the spousal allotment?? Can you please explain if I am incorrect and if not is this something that I need to do before April 30th. My wife currently works and will continue to work for 4-5 years. Thanks for your time. Robert Marino
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.
Robert, with regard to your post: "I am 68 years old and collecting social security. --------- OK. "My wife is 64 will be 65 July 13th. Can she take the file and suspend spousal allotment from social security and hold off until later(70 or earlier) to file for retirement? ----- No. Being underage (i.e. under her full retirement age), she can file for her spousal, but that automatically counts as filing for her own, and they will pay her her own plus any spousal addition - all reduced for taking early. That means she isn't deferring her own til 70, if that was her plan, unfortunately. She CAN do this, however, once she turns her FRA."If so does the spousal allotment reduce or alter her money when she fully retires or will it continue to increase every year until age 70. ------- As described above, she can not take just a spousal at this point - it would be her own. But if she did this later, it would not effect her own, which would continue to grow - that is the WHOLE point of a restricted spousal application. "I make 2,662 now and she is projected to make 2,300 at 66. I guess she can make up to one half of my money on the spousal allotment?? ------- She can IF she waits til her FRA and then files a "restricted spousal application" - which has been eliminated under the new law generally BUT, she is grandfathered, which is very fortunate!Can you please explain if I am incorrect and if not is this something that I need to do before April 30th. -------- No, don't have to do anything before 4/30 unless you wish to suspend your benefits and have her still be able to later collect spousal while you are still suspended. But this doesn't seem to be an issue since you seem to want to continue collecting yours, yes?My wife currently works and will continue to work for 4-5 years. Thanks for your time. Robert Marino ----- She is in a great situation to, at 66, collect a spousal, like "found money" for 4 years, then switch to her own at 70.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!