dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I have a few questions at present. I will be applying

Customer Question

Hi - I have a few questions at present. I will be applying for my ex husband's social security benefits as of June 25, 2016. I will be turning 65. My husband and I were married 21 years. What documentation do I need to receive those benefits and what is the lasted date I must submit this documentation to begin the benefits as soon as I turn 65. I will need to pay rent on July 1, 2016.
My birthday is ***** 25,1951 and I was born inPortland, Oregon. We were married on September 15, 1976. We divorced December 1997.
I am currently on SSI - will I continue to receive those benefits as well as the ex-spousal benefits. I stayed home to raise our children the length of our marriage and starTed working again in June 1996. I have Madelung Syndrome and have had a complete wrist replacement on my left arm. I must be very careful with my right arm as it will likely need one as well. I am taking exceedingly good care to keep that from happening - as that is my dominate arm and I was informed by my surgeon that if/when I need surgery to replace the wrist joint, I will have significant restrictions rotation and lifting rotation. I am very blessed to have nearly full rotation on my left arm post surgery. Also, the recovery time for that surgery (relying on my recovery time with my left wrist) is 2 years. Right now I am restricted to lifting 10-15 pounds. I cannot participate in life in ways that I used to. The wrist joint replacement restricts me from Nearly all sports: I can walk and run. All sports requiring the use of my arm are impossible for me now.
I am writing all of this to supply you with the information regarding the qualifications for SSI. My husband and I both believed that our family was best served by my being an at home mom.
For both those reasons, I believe that I should be awarded both: continued SSI - AS WELL AS the social security ex spousal benefits.
I have not remarried. I cannot wait until my 66th birthday to begin to receive the spousal benefits, as I cannot live on my SSI benefits alone after my 65th birthday.
I need to know what I need to do to apply, what documentation I need and when is rbe optimum time for me to apply. I am waiting for the copy of my marriage license, will be ordering my divorce decree copy today, and I need to order a new birth certificate because I put the original one in a safe place and I can't find it now.
Thank you for your time (to read this email) and consideration (giving it your full attention). I look forward to your reply,
Sincerely,
Jill *******
***-***-****
*****. 11th Ave SW #2
****, ****. ****
****@gmail.com
- OR -
****@yahoo.com
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.
Good afternoon Jill,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your multiple questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public. I assure you that you will get much more from a conversation with me than you ever could from just going back and forth in writing.Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.1. Are you trying to apply so that you are assured of a social security spouse benefit soon enough to pay rent in July, 2016?2. What is your present monthly SSI benefit?3. Do you have any minor children living with you?4. You mention that after your 65th birthday that you can't survive on SSI alone. What is going to change on your 65th birthday to create a financial problem for you? Are you presently living with someone else?Thanks in advance,Doug