LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

I will be 66 April 25. I received my first social security

Customer Question

I will be 66 April 25. I received my first social security check in April. How much can I make a year and draw social security.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good morning Linda,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. So long as the amount of income that you earned between January 1, 2016 and March 31, 2016 was less than $41,880, then there is no limitation on the amount of income you can earn after April 1, 2016. This is because the potential penalty for earning too much while taking social security benefits only applies to people less than 66 years old. In the year you reach full retirement age, social security will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit. In 2016, the limit on your earnings is $41,880 but they only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age. So, as long as you didn't earn more than $41,880 in the first 3 months of this year, then you are good to go and are free to collect your full social security benefit while earning as much as you want. After age 66 there is no income limitation ties to your benefit eligibility. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon Linda,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug