LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

If you turned 65 in March, is it possible file for

Customer Question

If you turned 65 in March, is it possible for you file for benefits at a reduced rate. We had one person say that he could not because he would make more than 41,000 from January to December and another said he could file if he waited until June and then they only would count your salary from June to December Which is right or is nobody right?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Yes, you may file for reduced social security benefit any time between age 62 and 66. However, if you file early, there are income maximums that you are limited to before your income starts eroding your social security benefitsl Let me explain. If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, social security will deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2016, that limit is $15,720.In the year you reach full retirement age, social security will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit. In 2016, the limit on your earnings is $41,880 but they only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age. If you will be 65 in 2016, then all of your 2016 income will be counted to determine if you earned too much. Social security no longer looks at income month by month. Only annually. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** I wanted, but it is what it is. If my husband filed for Medicare, she said I would receive more on my check. Is that true?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.
I understand that you are not happy with the way the law impacts on your ability to file for early social security. Quite frankly, neither am I! You asked: If my husband filed for Medicare, she said I would receive more on my check. Wow, I never cease to be amazed at the terrible information that people get from non-professionals about social security law. That statement is pure bologna. Your husband filing for Medicare will in no way effect what you are being paid as an early retirement benefit. You will neither get more, nor less, of an early retirement benefit if he files for Medicare. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.
Good afternoon, I just had your follow up question which you posted in a new question thread deleted so you are not charged for the second question. I am happy to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, All I ask is that you rate me so that I can be paid for having assisted you. Thanks in advance,Doug