LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am now 67, when I turned 66 I applied and suspended, then

Customer Question

I am now 67, when I turned 66 I applied and suspended, then files on my husbands (63) spousal benefit. He chose to file for Ss at 62, I'm 4 yrs older and waited. Was this the right strategy for me? I'll go to my own benefit at age 79.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.
Good afternoon Kathy,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Please understand that you don't file and suspend so that YOU can get a spouse benefit. You file and suspend so your SPOUSE can get the spouse benefit. But filing and suspending did not hurt you. That was a great strategy for you----that is applying for a restricted spouse benefit. But there was no reason for you to file and suspend. Your husband had already started receiving his social security, so you merely arranged to get a spouse benefit while your own benefit will increase by 8% per year until you reach 70. You can go to your own benefit at 69, but it will be worth 8% more at 70 if you wait the additional year. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.If I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug