LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

If you are getting SSI Disability before you are at retirement

Customer Question

If you are getting SSI Disability before you are at retirement age and now that you are retired and still legally receiving payments from your SSI Disability , do you have to pay back any money you where to come into? such as a house then sell it or get money from the owner of said house?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. You will have SSDI benefits paid while you remain disabled until age 66 and at that time your benefit will automatically convert to a retirement benefit. Selling a house or getting income from a source other than working for wages will not interfere with your ongoing social security benefits and you won't have to pay the benefits back just because you sold a house. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.If I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug