Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

My son who is age 8 received from Social security Benefit statement

Customer Question

My son who is age 8 received from Social security Benefit statement in box 5 in amount of 11,993. Does he need to file a tax return
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If a minor child receives only Social Security survivors' or disability benefits and other unearned income, he must file a return if the total of his unearned income exceeds $950. If the child is blind, the Internal Revenue Service won't require him to file a return unless the total exceeds $2,400. If the child also receives earned income, such as wages, he may have a higher filing limit. If your child has taxable Social Security benefits, he -- or you, if you handle the paperwork -- can't use the 1040EZ. The taxes must be filed using the 1040 or 1040A. Report the net benefits and the taxable benefits separately. On the 1040A, they go on line 14a and 14b, respectively; on the 1040, it's 20a and 20b. You add the taxable benefits to your child's other taxable income and pay tax on it, the same as if it were wages. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.