Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

I was married 6yeats and 11 months when my husband died. Am

Customer Question

I was married 6yeats and 11 months when my husband died. Am I eligible for spousal benifits?
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am 60 yrs old
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. Yes, you were married at your husband's death and you are eligible for a survivor benefit that is 100% of the amount that your husband was due at your full retirement age (age 66 in 2016). At age 60, your survivor benefit will be reduced by the early retirement penalty so you will not get the full 100% at age 60 (this is the earliest age you can elect to take the survivor benefit if you are not disabled). The best part of this, is you can take this benefit until age 70 and then switch over to your normal retirement benefit if it is more. From ages 66-70 you will earn 8% credits per year of deferral giving you the maximum benefit and increasing it 32%. So to answer your question, yes, you are eligible for the survivor benefit. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.