Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

My social security checks are being held up because of identity

Customer Question

my social security checks are being held up because of identity fraud it has been three months since ive recieved a check i have copd i dont have a car my checks were deposited to direct exspess what can i do
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 6 months ago.
OK, so you need to go get a NEW PHOTO ID. If you are unable to drive, that is OK, because you need only have a state issued PHOTO ID, it need not be a drivers license. But yes, if you can not show ID to prove it is you and not a thief, that can be a hold up. So, you need to go to the facility that issues state photo IDs, often times it is your DMV - and bring with you the documentary proof it requires of you to get this ID, which will definitely include a raised-seal copy of your birth certificate, amongst other things (including proof of residency in that state, etc.) But check it out, as every state has its own rules.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!