annelew12554
annelew12554, Social Security
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge of the rules of Social Seeurity
5242771

Can my 92 year old father's veterans benefits pay 100

Customer Question

Can my 92 year old father's veterans benefits pay for my 100 year old mother's non-medical in home care? If so, is there a cut off point on annual income?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 8 months ago.
HiI'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 28 years and I'll be happy to help you. Contact your local VA to learn more about the "Aid and Attendance"program. There are also several non-profits that work with veterans to process their claims. VA benefits are not automatically given; they must be applied for, and recipients must meet certain requirements. Veterans with spouses could receive over $23,000 annually toward personal home care assistance, assisted living or nursing home care. Spouses of deceased veterans may be eligible for over$12,000 annually. Also, you may want to apply through Medicare. It depends on the type of help that you need, but If her doctor has prescribed clinical help that would be administered by a registered nurse,physical therapist, or occupational therapist, Medicare will pay. Also, whileunder the care of an in-home clinician, a home health aide or other care giver can be assigned under Medicare coverage for bathing and certain other types of personal care. Medicare will not pay if you need help with activities of daily living such as non-prescribed personal care, meal preparation, medication reminders and housekeeping. The only insurance that does cover these services is long-term care insurance, which is privately purchased. If this answer has helped you, please take the moment to rate positive byclicking on the stars.It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time andknowledge. Thank you for choosing justanswer.