Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

Does a SS beneficiary receive a form like the SSA-1099 for

Customer Question

Does a SS beneficiary receive a form like the SSA-1099 for SSI benefits received?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more so we can help you best.
Customer: Actually I am a tax preparer and a new client said that his wife's SSA-1099 is for SSI payments while the IRS Publication 915 states that the Social Security benefits include monthly retirement, survivor, and disability benefits. Theo do not include SSI payments, which are not taxable. So, the client wants to exclude all the ss
JA: Anything else I can tell the Retirement Accountant before I connect you two?
Customer: SSA-1099 benefits but they do not appear to be free from tax.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Retirement Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 6 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.
You client is likely confusing the acronyms of SSI and SSR or SSD. As you thought, the SSA definitely does not issue 1099s for SSI payments, which are not social security at all, but supplemental security income (welfare). Whether his Social Security income is taxed and to what extent will depend on his "combined income":
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!